A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor. - Franklin D. Roosevelt
Hi Pythonistas, a new week, a new 'bite' of Python coding! We are delighted to have Michael Herman (Real Python) deliver this week's challenge. Prepare to learn some useful new skills and above all have fun!
Create a Flask app that displays a basic data visualization with Bokeh.
If you're feeling up to it, deploy the app to Heroku as well.
Need some data to work with?
But you can use any data set. The goal is to use Bokeh inside Flask.
This challenge includes a number of moving pieces, so make sure to break it down into smaller steps.
- Create a basic Flask app
- Manually test the app locally
- Create a data visualization with Bokeh
- Integrate the Bokeh chart with the Flask app
- Manually test the app again locally
If you want more practice, burn it all down and start over again. Continue doing this until you feel comfortable with the workflow.
Share your awesome visualization with the world:
- Set up Heroku and deploy
- Manually test the app on Heroku
- Flask + Bokeh Basics - simple tutorial that shows you how to embed a bar chart into a Flask app
- Bokeh User Guide / Flask docs
- How to deploy a Flask App to Heroku
- Real Python
This doc also provides you with instructions how you can submit your code to PyBites' community branch via Pull Request. PR submissions will be featured in next week's challenge review (previous editions).
Keep Calm and Code in Python!
See an error in this post? Please submit a pull request on Github.